Want to make an authentic Thai dish at home? Well, this is THE best Tom Yum Goong (which literally translates to Boiled Prawn Salad) that I've ever tried! I learned this recipe at a cooking class in Thailand and it takes all of 5 minutes to make. You may not necessarily have all these ingredients just knocking about at home, but it's totally worth hunting them down.
If you can't find galangal, you can substitute with ginger but it won't be quite the same. A Chinese spoon measurement is 17ml, or 1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon.
1 teaspoon chilli paste
1 Chinese spoon coconut sugar
2 Chinese spoons gluten free fish sauce
2 Chinese spoons fresh lime juice
1/2 stalk lemongrass, sliced into 3-4cm lengths
1 Thai shallot
2 small green chillies, gently pressed to release flavour
4-5 slices of fresh galangal
Handful raw prawns, shelled
2-3 drops of chilli oil
Here's what you do...
1. In a pot, bring water to boil and stir in the chilli paste.
2. Add the sugar, fish sauce and lime juice.
3. Stir well then add the shallot, chillies and galangal.
4. Bring the soup to the boil, add the prawns and cook for 30 seconds
5. Pour into a bowl. You can take out the galangal and chillies at this stage if you prefer. Serve with a few drops of chilli oil.
Hey, if you liked this recipe then don't be shy... share the love! Hit like on the way through or share with a friend so we can spread the whole-food word together. Thank you. Kirsty x