Once upon a time I ate Nutella straight out of the jar with a spoon.
Until I read the ingredients that is. Holy moly! It might taste good, but the ingredients are scary.
Which probably explains why I’d have massive headaches and mood swings after scoffing down too much of the stuff.
So, I decided it was time to create a healthier version. One that I could still eat out of the jar if I wanted, but without feeling crappy afterwards.
And here’s what I came up with - this jar of rich, chocolatey, nutty goodness.
Hope you enjoy this as much as I do!
120g dairy free chocolate (I use this one, available from most health food stores)
1 tsp vanilla powder
¼ tsp Himalayan salt
Here's what you do...
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
2. Line a tray with baking paper.
3. Spread the hazelnuts onto the tray and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes, checking them regularly to be sure they don't burn.
4. Remove the hazelnuts from the oven and rub them with a towel so the skins begin to loosen. Continue this process until all the skins are removed. Set the hazelnuts aside.
5. Grate the chocolate in your food processor, or if using a Thermomix, grind for 10 sec/speed 9.
6. Add the hazelnuts, vanilla and salt to the food processor and grind until the oils begin to release from the nuts and the texture is smooth and spreadable. Or, if using a Thermomix, grind for 30 sec/speed 9, scrape down the sides of the bowl and continue this process until you have a spread.
7. Store in a jar in the fridge and try not to eat all at once!
Hey, if you liked this recipe then don't be shy... share the love!
Hit like on the way through or share with a friend so we can spread the whole-food word together.